Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Creative Singularity: dealing, or not dealing, with Artists’ Block

image copyright Centro de Fisica do Porto
One of the most difficult things for me as an artist, is finding my own original voice that defines my visual vocabulary. At this point in my career, on the verge of finishing my undergraduate degree, I still feel like my work is very inconsistent, and lacks that special cohesive quality that allows my viewers to identify my work as my own at first glance. I am very noncommittal though. I have a bad habit of beginning what I think will become a series of pieces, but I usually can only make about 2 pieces before getting bored of that subject, or feeling like I have outgrown it a bit. Another idea comes along that seems more interesting to me and I abandon my previous thread of ideas.
I have always prided myself on my eclectic taste; there are just so many things that I find fascinating, and I want to find a way to incorporate them all into my visual language, but it usually comes off as sporadic, rather than grandiose in concept. Am I just not seeing the big picture that would allow me to connect the conceptual dots between such a variety of interests?
But I think the real issue isn’t not knowing what I like and dont like, its that my vision becomes so cluttered with the scintillating debris of passions, projects and hobbies, that I lose sight of what is essential, of why all of those things matter to me and connect with me on a personal level, and thus connect with my audience. I can see the symptoms, by-products and effects of what makes me unique as an artist and a person, but I cant quite make out what that thing actually is, or more importantly, what it looks like. I feel like I am trying to look into a black hole. I can see light and time bending around it, and I can see everything caught in its gravitational well, but I can not see the entity itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment